Monday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending…
MAN UNITED: Manchester United are closing in on a deal for Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic and could sign the Serbia international before the end of the week, sources have told ESPN FC.
– Paul Pogba has told Telefoot he would not mind if close friend Antoine Griezmann moved to Manchester City, so long as it made him happy.
CHELSEA: With Matic set to leave, the Premier League champions will reportedly move to bolster their squad with Juventus full-back Alex Sandro and Monaco midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko in a £100 million double deal. It’s Transfer Talk.
– Chelsea legend Frank Lampard says Romelu Lukaku would be the ideal man to replace Diego Costa if the Spain international leaves Stamford Bridge this summer.
TOTTENHAM: Spurs have absolutely no intention of selling Harry Kane this summer and they have not quoted Manchester United a price for the striker, sources have told ESPN FC.
CRYSTAL PALACE: Palace have announced the appointment of Frank de Boer as their new manager.
– Finding the right goalkeeper and young, cost-effective talent will be priorities for new Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer, Robert Sutherland writes.
MEXICO: Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez trained separately from his teammates on Monday because of muscle fatigue, the latest concern for a Mexican team that has been struck by injuries at the Confederations Cup.
CONFEDERATIONS CUP: Cameroon manager Hugo Broos was left confused by the latest incident involving the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) in his side’s 3-1 defeat against Germany on Sunday, and said the referee didn’t give an explanation afterwards.
– Germany have built their Confederations Cup squad around Julian Draxler and the PSG man looks to be the country’s next superstar, Gab Marcotti writes.
– Chile and Australia drew 1-1, and Tim Vickery says the South Americans need to rediscover top gear as they head into a semifinal with Portugal.
REAL MADRID: Lille director of football Luis Campos says Cristiano Ronaldo has told him he is “taking some time to think” over whether he should remain at Real Madrid due to his “sadness” at being accused of tax fraud by the Spanish authorities.
BARCELONA: Luiz Felipe Scolari has played down speculation Paulinho will join Barcelona during the summer transfer window as finding a replacement for the former Tottenham Hotspur man would be too expensive.
– Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez says he knows nothing of potential interest from Barcelona, and is currently focused on helping Spain win the European Under-21 Championship.
LIVERPOOL: Gremio president Odorico Roman has told Zero Hora that they are keen to re-sign Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva.
– Dani Alves could have signed for Liverpool before a deal was called off for financial reasons, former Anfield CEO Rick Parry has told the BBC.
– Mohamed Salah needs to be the start of a Liverpool spending spree if Jurgen Klopp is to turn his side into Premier League contenders next season, Dave Usher writes.
ARSENAL: Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said Arsenal are interested in signing Alexandre Lacazette but would have to pay €65 million to get him — and also confirmed his interest in Olivier Giroud.
– Bayern Munich midfielder Arturo Vidal has described Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez as “a spectacular player” and said he hopes he will join the Bundesliga champions.
AC MILAN: Agent Mino Raiola has confirmed he and Gianluigi Donnarumma will meet with AC Milan to discuss a new contract following the goalkeeper’s participation at the Under-21 European Championship, ending a day’s worth of confusion on social media which led to the player claiming one of his accounts had been hacked.
– Former AC Milan forward Alexandre Pato says he was forced to leave the Serie A club to save his career after being told he would never play again.
BAYERN MUNICH: Robert Lewandowski’s Polish agent has told Futbolfejs.pl he still believes Bayern Munich is “the best club for the development” of his client’s career.
– Renato Sanches has said he wants to stay at Bayern Munich amid reports linking him with a move away from the Bundesliga champions.
– Schalke have reiterated that Germany international Leon Goretzka will remain at the Veltins Arena this season despite links with Bayern Munich.
NICE: Mario Balotelli has signed a new one-year contract to remain at French club Nice.
– WATCH: The FC TV crew say Balotelli’s new deal is a sign of maturity.
– Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivere has suggested he is interested in bringing Hatem Ben Arfa back to the club this summer, saying he is keeping an eye on the France international’s situation at Paris Saint-Germain.
BAYER LEVERKUSEN: Germany international Julian Brandt has ruled out a summer move, saying he wants to “straighten things out” after a disappointing season at Bayer Leverkusen.
MLS: Clint Dempsey silenced the Providence Park faithful once more in a 2-2 draw on Sunday, Matt Pentz writes.
– The San Jose Earthquakes fired manager Dominic Kinnear on Sunday, replacing him with technical director Chris Leitch.
Share This Post